Alameda County CWPP Update Planning Process
DFSC, community members and agency partners worked during 2014 to Update the Alameda County Community Wildfire Protection Plan. The planning process consisted of 8 steps as established in the Overview.
Steps: 1. - 4. Project Kickoff and Review Existing CWPP
1. Convene Decision-makers: During this first phase we worked with local fire agencies and Cal Fire to develop an overview of the process.
2. Involve Federal Agencies: Federal Agencies partners provided information and support throughout the process.
3. Engage Interested Parties: Even when the Update is adopted, we will continue to engage interested parties. Won’t you join us as a partner? For more information about attending future stakeholders activities email us at DFSCMiller@comcast.net to be added to our mailing list.
4. Community Risk Assessments:
Our first working session focused on review of the existing Alameda County CWPP (2012) and updates from stakeholders about on-going project and priorities. The first working session also included updates on risk assessments and a round table that discussed overall planning, participation and new partners, among other topics. See Summary AlCoCWPP Mtg #1 for details.
Many of the communities in Alameda County have existing assessments that can be found on-line. For a list of existing resources see Alameda County Resources and References.
Steps 5. - 7. Update Projects and Priorities, Action Plan and Assessment Strategy
5. Projects and Priorities: Stakeholders also provided updates on their fuel reduction projects and priorities. New partners provided an overview of their wildfire hazard reduction projects and programs. See Summary AlCOCWPP Mtg #2.
Step 6 - 7. Action Plan Update and Assessment Strategy
At our 2nd stakeholders meeting we identified common challenges and shared solutions to enable us to recognize where we might have shared priorities. Participants reviewed and refined the action plan framework and provided detailed implementation actions, timeframe and funding needs. For a summary of stakeholder input see Summary AlCOCWPP Mtg #2.
Step 8. Plan Update
The final stakeholder meeting for the Alameda County CWPP Update reviewed an Administrative Draft Plan Update, see Summary AlCOCWPP Mtg #3. A summary of “What is different in the 11/20/20014 versus the 2012 Alameda County Wildfire Protection Plan” provides an overview of recommended revisions. The draft plan will be circulated for review during January and February 2015.
Ongoing update activities are planned for the future to maintain the Contra Costa County CWPP as a living document, guiding community wildfire prevention into the future. For more information about these activities email us at DFSCMiller@comcast.net to be added to our mailing list.